Yes! Clip Studio Paint is available as a “one-time purchase”. In fact, Clip Studio Paint is available as:
- a one-time purchase,
- a yearly subscription, or
- a monthly subscription.
Note that it comes in two different versions: Clip Studio Paint Pro and Clip Studio Paint Ex, and that the subscription plans can be purchased for use on a single device or up to 4 devices.
Clip Studio Paint Pro:
- $49.99 as a one-time purchase
- $24.99 as a yearly subscription (single device)
- $4.49 as a monthly subscription (single device)
Check out Clip Studio Paint Pro on the official site.
Clip Studio Paint Ex:
- $219 as a one-time purchase
- $71.99 as a yearly subscription (single device)
- $8.99 as a monthly subscription (single device)
Check out Clip Studio Paint Ex on the official site.
As you can see, there is a lot of flexibility when it comes to buying Clip Studio Paint!
Continue scrolling down below to find out more about the difference between these payment models and their pros and cons…
I love all the products that I review. At no cost to you, I may receive a commission if you buy through a link on this page.
Clip Studio Paint One-time Purchase vs Monthly
Pros and Cons Summarized
- When buying Clip Studio Paint at a one-time fee, you own it permanently. Unlike other similar software, Clip Studio Paint includes future updates in its price.
- With subscriptions, you pay less money up-front, but it might become more expensive in the long run.
- With subscriptions, you can pay as long as you need the software if you remember to cancel the subscription in due time 🙂
- A monthly fee allows you to test the software cheaply. However, Clip Studio Paint and many other drawing software offer free trials.
As you might already know, the whole one-time fee vs subscription debate does only concern Clip Studio Paint or other similar drawing software.
In fact, it is a “thing” in the whole software industry. In recent years, more and more software companies have been shifting to the SaaS model, as it has several advantages for them. Below, I have outlined the differences and the pros and cons for you as the consumer.
Software sold at a one-time fee is similar to how most products are sold (a.k.a. software as a product). This means you, as the consumer, own the product permanently after making a single payment. Historically, this is how all software was sold, and it is also how many people at least at a first glance prefer to buy their software.
Software sold as an ongoing subscription means that you, as the consumer, can use the software as long as you maintain those recurring payments (a.k.a Software as a Service or in short “Saas”). In other words, you don’t actually own the software.
Purchasing the software to own it and use it indefinitely might seem like the most attractive option at first, however, it is not a realistic use scenario.
Most software becomes obsolete within a few years due to things like new hardware and operating systems, which means you will have to buy new software or suffer the many issues with having to run an old one. That is, of course, unless the software itself is updated to keep up with these changes. But if these updates come at an additional charge, the situation is not much different.
Note: Clip Studio Paint does not suffer the common disadvantage of one-time purchases, since all future upgrades are without any additional charge.
Most often, a subscription model means that bugs, compatibility issues, upgrades, and even new features are released periodically and that this is included in the price. In other words, you won’t have any obsolescence or compatibility issues. Just note that the same cannot be said for your devices.
Brief Explanation on Clip Studio Paint
Clip Studio Paint is a great drawing software and is especially good for artists who create manga art and comics. In fact, the software was originally created specifically for sequential art.
It has many useful features such as webtoon canvas settings, auto coloring tools, timelapse feature, 3D drawing figures that are editable, and much more.
Clip Studio Paint is compatible with most devices and operating systems. Of course, it works best if you also have a drawing tablet. If not, I got you covered below 🙂
In The Market For A Drawing Tablet?
Do you have a specific budget? then check these out:
- Drawing Tablets Under 500
- Drawing tablets under 400
- Drawing tablets under 300
- Drawing tablets under 200
Clip Studio Paint Alternatives
There are many other great drawing software to choose from for creating your digital art.
Some require you to spend a little bit of money like Clip Studio Paint while others come at a much steeper price. And if you are out of money, there are even great free options to choose from. Most of them even work on both Windows and macOS.
Below I have created a list of different drawing software that I can recommend. You can also check out my post on the best drawing software.
Paid Drawing Software
- Affinity Designer – this software is especially recommended for MacOS users as it won the Apple Design Award on WWDC 2015 and has improved a lot since then. It is also available on Windows, with features such as instant vector and raster switching, live effects preview, advanced grid controls, and a lot more. Price: One-time payment of $49.99
- Corel Painter – available for both Windows and macOS users, the highlight of this software is its Brush Accelerator tool which ensures smooth workflow when drawing. Despite its simplicity, it has all the bells and whistles such as over 900 brush presets, brush customization, color options, and more. Price: One-time payment of $429, with additional payment for upgrades.
- Adobe Photoshop CC – Undoubtedly one of the best software for professional artists. Its’ edge lies in its high-end functionalities that allow endless possibilities in creating visuals. Furthermore, Adobe has an extensive suite of other software that works well with Photoshop. Price: $20.99/month (varies depending on location)
Free Drawing Software
- Sketchbook – this software is perfect for beginners who are looking for free, simplistic drawing software that won’t overwhelm their senses as they run the application. It has loads of brush presets and drawing tools. This program is compatible with Windows and macOS.
- MediBang Paint – this software is remarked by its extensive cloud functions, wherein you can log in to import resources from other users and participate in their artist community ArtSTREET. It has features such as screentone filters and frame borders which are perfect for manga artists. It is compatible with Windows and macOS.
- Krita – offers extensive features and customizability. Has nine brush engines that allow for are highly customizable brushes from shape, particles, to color smudging. Functions as both illustration and animation software. It is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux.
More about the pricing of similar software
Q: Is clip studio paint available as a one-time purchase on iPad?
A: Not as this time. Unfortunately, it is only available as a subscription on the App Store.
Q: Is clip studio paint available as a one-time purchase on android?
A: Not as this time. Unfortunately, it is only available as a subscription on the Google Play Store.
I love all the products that I review. At no cost to you, I may receive a commission if you buy through a link on this page. Read more here.